Some tips to help your child stay safe:
- Set up online accounts together and check them often.
- Brainstorm usernames and passwords together.
- Be aware of the social media your child is using and the age limits and privacy setting that can be set for each tool (see links below)
- Have summer rules for screentime.
- Keep an eye on what your child is doing - have the computer in a central location and check their devices.
- Remind your child the basics of safety - don’t chat with strangers, don’t share location information or last names, tell an adult if anything happens that makes them uncomfortable.
Family Online Safety Institute
This site has a great section called “Good Digital Parenting” that contains advice as well as tip sheets on the various social media apps out there. These tip sheets include the age level restrictions, a link to the web page for the tool, and quick tips for parents on what to look out for.
Common Sense Media
This site has movie, app, and book reviews, as well as advice for parents around all types of digital issues for kids of all ages.
YouTube Safety Information for Parents
Facebook Family Safety Center
Snapchat Safety Center
Instagram Tips for Parents